Sunday 17 May 2009

That Would Have Made Terry Wogan So Proud...

This is very strange - there are people moaning that we only came fifth, when the past previous years we've been lucky to make it into the top 20. For example, when we got the first 10 points, that was a magical experience for every Britain watching. We're only used to getting the odd point here and there. By the end though, I think we got annoyed with the countries that only gave us 3 points.

The song itself in my opinion was a load of rubbish, and how we came fifth I don't know... Andrew Lloyd Webber must have scared people into voting, thinking he was the reincarnation of a piano playing Dracula. The song as we've been reminded many-a-time in the past few months, was written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, and because of this, the song had a very musical feel to it, which I think was inappropriate for the Eurovision Song Contest. Her performance wasn't exactly the best, with her voice wavering in and out of pitch as well. I am quite aware that she done a better job than I could do, but then I'm trying to sing.

Compared to other years though, the song was brilliant. Our bad run of music started with Gemini, the duo who deafened half of Europe and put the other half off cheese for while (because it was so cheesy). We've also had 'Daz' who got a bunch of girls dressed in kinky school outfits, and performed a 'song' about teenage life, which wasn't exactly our proudest moment. Last year, we called on X-Factor runner-up, Andy Abraham who didn't set out to be cheesy, but was still extremely awful.

Looking at some of the other countries, there were a lot of depressing songs, but there was also a few happy ones with a beat. Azerbaijan (which to me sounds like a spell or something Tommy copper may have said) had a song which had a Spanish feel to it, and was quite a happy song. Turkey went back to their roots with a singing belly dancer, which also was quite a happy song. The Germans, well they whipped out a gay, tap-dancing German who sang a song with a 1950's feel, but it was a surprise that it was Germany who put the gay into this year’s Eurovision.
Denmark was possibly my favourite song out of the lot, which was a song written by Ronan Keating, and was performed by someone who was trying to be Ronan Keating. My friend however thinks Brinck (That's his name) done a better job than Ronan Keating, purely on the bases that he was fitter... I prefer Ronan myself, it's just something about the Irish accent that arouses me, maybe that’s why I missed Terry, but enough of my deep, person, disturbing secrets.

Now, I'll talk about the winner of the glass microphone, Norway. To me he looked like Norway's answer to Zac Efron, but he borrowed Susan Boyle's eyebrows. His song I thought was very good and I'm glad it won because not only was he a good singer, the song was extremely catchy, and a lovely happy beat to it AND he played the violin while singing about love... This is the reason why I am extremely pleased with this year’s Eurovision. Yes, there was a slight bit of political voting, which you'll never be able to stop, but a vast majority was about the songs, which is brilliant, and I bet Terry Wogan is kicking himself for decided to resign live on air last year.

Hoping that Terry Wogan didn't have a heart attack at our performance coming fifth with something around the region of 170 points, I hope he comes back and does it next year, because Graham Norton is a lot to be desired. I will admit that I did laugh on quite a few occasions about something he said during his commentary, but it didn't have the right Irish feel. I missed Terry Wogan. I like Terry, although I never listen to him on the radio, or watch points of view, but the two occasions I did see/hear him a year were quite good. Eurovision and Children in Need were the only times he was allowed to be witnessed by me, but now I'm left only with Children in Need. So, on the extreme off chance that he may read this, Please come back Terry, we missed you!!

So after that, unusually positive blog from me, I shall leave you for now, but don't go far, as I may grace you with another blog very soon...
Toodles m’dearys
xXXx

No comments: