Monday 18 May 2009

And On That Bombshell...

Some say, that Insurance is so expensive that people are starting to park their cars in their front rooms, and saying it's parked in a garage; others say that if you added the Stig to your policy, you'd get free breakdown cover - All I know, is that Insurance is bloody expensive, especially for the first time driver.

As I'm typing this, Churchill are preparing to drain my account of nearly £1,800 for my car insurance, on a 1 litre Nissan Mirca, just because I'm a male teen. If you've ever watched 'Police, Camera, Action' or 'Traffic Cops', the voice over person will always says about reckless male teen drivers, which stereotypes every teenage boy with a car as someone who's going to drive over fields to avoid the police, race around a car park, or go 31 MPH in a 30MPH zone. I'm not one of these kind of teenagers who testosterone is so high I punch my best friend in the face because he touched my hair or want to prove myself as a man so much that I've slept with every girl I've ever looked at (mainly that's more to do with the fact I'm not as 'aesthetically pleasing' as most, but that's not the point I was trying to make). I'm not exactly a stereotypical teenage boy.

I am now 17 in 9 days, which also is the day I have my first driving lesson booked, so as you can tell, I'm quite eager to start driving considering I've got a car and insured it already. But my car only cost me £800, so the insurance is nearly a thousand pound more, which is quite ridiculous. After a year’s driving, assuming you haven't crashed your car or been convicted, the insurance is suppose to drop dramatically, so you're only paying this ridiculous price once. But bloody hell, that's nearly enough to make me catch the bus every day, so I leaved a 'greener' footprint behind me.

There are lots of blogs on the Internet, written by people who are also 17/18 and have brought car insurance, but the one thing I've noticed, is that no two people are the same. Just because Bob in Swansea got cheap car insurance with 'Auto Direct', doesn't mean I will in Canterbury, because your postcode is the most important bit. Me personally, I found both Churchill and Direct Line to be the cheapest, but Churchill was the best value for money. The only way you can find cheap car insurance isn't to ask people who was the cheapest insurer for them, you have to spend hours, maybe even days going through every insurance company and getting quotes on the Internet and on the phone. Also, I've found it's a great way to learn your registration number, as I now know mine off by heart because of the amount of times I've typed it.

I have some pieces of advice to anyone considering buying a car, learning to drive and insuring the car. The first one is to make sure you don't buy your favourite car. Chances are your favourite car is too big. For example, my favourite cars would be the Ford Focus or Fiat Punto, but the engine size on both is too big for someone who is learning to drive/just passed their test, because there is no way (unless you were born of a women who has slept with Richard Branson to Max Mosley) that you would be able to afford the car or the insurance. I own an orange Nissan Micra for God sake - as you can probably guess, it wasn't exactly my first choice. But no-one’s forcing me to keep forever, in fact in two years time it will be 10 years old, so the government will tell me that I could trade it in and get £2,000 off a brand new car. There are lots of problems with that new Government scheme, but that's a blog for another day.

Another piece of advice is to make sure you put someone else on your insurance policy. You Father or Mother favourably, because it will just make learning to drive a lot more simple and give more flexibility to when you can learn to drive. I would strongly advise though that you learn to drive with an instructor and not your Father, because going on how well my friends have done, the ones who have gone with an instructor have passed quicker, and haven't fallen out with their Father.

I suppose you could call this my advice blog to anyone who is about to start driving and in the process of buying a car. My advice would be to make sure you check every insurance company - including Churchill - OO YESH!
Just think that if I can dispense this amount of information before I'm 17, I'm either well informed - or wrong...

So, on that bombshell, it's time to end.Toodles m'dearys
xXXx

And by the way, normal service with cynical blogs will return shortly.

No comments: