Sunday 22 March 2009

Oh, Goody...

The day has come, on Mothering Sunday 2009, Jade Goody, aged 27, died in her sleep after being diagnosed with cancer, what feels like years ago. So, I suppose you could call this my tribute to her and her extraordinary life in the public eye, which I think she defiantly earned. There may be a hint of sarcasm in there, but hey, it looks good on the preview thingy.

...In my blog I'll tell how she went from this

To this...

And finally, to this...
The story begins in series 3 (I think) of Big Brother in 2002. During that series, she became a target for the press, after showing her stupidity (plus more) in the BB house. Her lack of knowledge for, anything really was ridiculed in the press. A lot of people will remember when she was plastered in every paper nude, after a drunken night in the house - pictured above. This episode in her life, also gave everyone an insight into what was to follow – her being portrayed as ‘a bitch’, I believe the term is.

Then we had a few years of her being a celebrity. I’ve been informed that she had a chat show, but I don’t remember that, and I’m sure you don’t even, but she did do more than that. She had a few appearances in gossip magazines like Heat and OK!, but again, I doubt anyone really remembers them... She ran the London Marathon as well, but she didn’t finish because she collapsed after 20 miles, so that’s something else she failed on.
She then released her autobiography, so we could be informed of the terrible life she had as a child, and the terrible time she had in Big Brother and how she was misrepresented. To top it off, she released her own fragrance called ‘Shhh... Jade Goody’, there are so many jokes to be made about that, but I think you can probably work them out for yourselves.

Then we come to 2007, the cost controversial year for her before 2009. She went back on Celebrity Big Brother and that’s where it all kicked off... she was accused of being racist, which led to the whole nation hating her (even more than before), then Superdrug took her appropriately named perfume off the shelves, she then spent most the year grovelling to everyone, including India.

In 2008 was also a busy year for her, and she continued to apologise. She then released her second, appropriately named perfume range called ‘Controversial’ and released a second autobiography due to popular demand, all before she went on the Indian equivalent of Big Brother (Bigg Boss), before having to pull out, where she then found out she had cancer, and you know the story from there.
She then became a regular fixture on Living TV, with her TV series ‘Living With...’, she also sold her story to OK! Magazine, and got married and baptised in front of a camera and a reporter, and made quite a lot of money. If you refresh your memory though, you will find out that she never once gave a message to the public saying ‘Get yourself checked out for cancer’ or in any form made any attempt to increase the public’s knowledge of cancer, everything she done was purely for herself, so all this crap that she’s made thousands of young girls get themselves checked out, is actually a load of crap.

You can call me insensitive if you want, you can even call me a ‘Sad Little Boy’ like I have been called on Twitter due to my ‘sensitive’ comments, but at no point did I ever say I was glad she got cancer, and at no point have I said today I’m glad she’s dead. You see, I’m pretty well informed about cancer, and the effects it has on people and the emotional and physical stress it causes to those around them, not to mention the person with the cancer. My Nan has only recently recovered from her bowel cancer, which has taken her two years, and I’m glad to say ‘the tough cookie’ has survived. But now I have a great Aunt and a great Uncle who both have cancer and are currently going through all the chemotherapy stuff, and I know how hard it is for them.

If you know me, then you are more than aware of what annoys me the most about this Jade Goody story. It’s that Gordon Brown, along with most of the country, have been commending her on her bravery. Now, I don’t once remember him saying that about my Nan, and I very much doubt he’s going to say it about any other member of my family, or your family for that matter (without sounding too insensitive). And I’m sure if you live in or around Canterbury, you’ll be aware for the boy who died last week of cancer. I didn’t know him, but I’ve heard quite a lot about him, but then again, Gordon Brown hasn’t sent his condolences to his family.

So, why is Jade Goody any different to all these people? Why is she aloud to make thousands, if not millions of pounds, just for having cancer? She’s made such a huge fuss over her having cancer, and yet only last month, someone with a reason to be famous, died of cancer. That was Wendy Richards. Now, she literally spent all her last days increasing the awareness of cancer, and doing stuff for charity, and made a documentary about what she was going through. Although, not for the same reasons as Jade Goody. She didn’t do it for the money, she done it because she was an unselfish person who was a national treasure, as opposed to being the nations equivalent to Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

Now, cast your minds back to before Jade Goody got cancer... Did anyone like her? No, they didn’t, and this was because she was seen as another vulgar creation, made from ‘Reality TV’ who is a celebrity for no particular reason and having no talent. Another reason for no-one liking her was that she was seen as a ‘mouthy cow’. Then, her getting cancer changed everything, and became ‘a kind of Princess D from the wrong side of the tracks’ to quote Stephen Fry’s tweet on the subject.

While I’m on the subject to Twitter again, I’d like to mention all the responses I’ve had on there about stuff I’ve said about Jade Goody. You find that there are a lot of people on there who actually like her, and felt sorry for her, and defended her against all the cruel things I said about her. Although you do get the odd person who doesn’t feel whatever emotion the media tell them to feel. They say ‘Hate Jade Goody’, then everyone in the country will hate her, but as soon as they say ‘Have sympathy for her’, everyone will run around buying the latest addition of OK! Magazine and crying due to being pumped with so much sympathy. It is ridiculous. But anyway, the point I was about to make was that there are some people on Twitter who came along and defending me, to which I thank for not being as deluded as everyone else. Not everyone liked her, it has to be said, and I was one of them.

And to prove the point that not everyone likes her, someone has actually gone to all the effort of making a website called ‘isjadegoodydeadyet’, which would be updated when her health changes. And it currently says... ‘YES! (Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead!)’ However insensitive that is, you have to applaud them for having the guts to do so.

But I will say this about her, to stop myself from going to hell if you like. Everyone is going to have a different opinion of this. I wouldn’t wish cancer on anyone, ever, but the way you treat it, is the way you’ll be remembered. You choose how you remember her, but I will remember her as women, whose hunger for money and fame, and being in the media spotlight, was the making of her. How many people actually liked her before she got cancer?

And one more thing, if for some reason you feel the urge to to put flowers outside her house like everyone seems to be doing - Don't. Please give a donation to Cancer Research instead, it would be a hell of a lot more useful than flowers that will die.

So, yes, that was my rather large tribute to Jade Goody. I am expecting to get some response to this if anyone actually reads it. And all response are welcome, whether you want to complain or not.

I apologise for this blog being extremely long and biased, but I promise my next blog will be a lot shorter and easier to follow.
So until then, Toodles m’dearys...
xXXx

1 comment:

Being Me said...

I know what yuo mean she gets recognized for being a hero. what has she done.went on big brother twice and a few more people have got smear tests which i thinkmis goo.d what about all the other women who are dieing from cancer. It notn just have tbh i dofeel sorry for her famiyl and her 2 little boys but all she did that i think was good was that more people are haveing smear tests! nd for jakes sentance come on if his wife was ill why wuld you go out hitting people he should have got the full sentance and thats final!