Monday 28 January 2013

Let's Reminisce Into My 2012

This blog is an example of how neglectful I have become of my little bit of Internet space. 2012 has been and gone for nearly a month now, and yet I am only just about to write my usual blog on the subject. Anyway, it was another year to remember, which involved a lot mature stuff by me. It has changed me; for example I now own a washing up bowl.
So, the first four months of the year were fairly uneventful, what with it mainly consisting of writing essays and creating a student film. The film involved lots of trekking across London packed with a multitude of different equipment, and then hours of painstaking editing. Luckily, I enjoyed being with the people I done.

Other University work consisted of learning about Karl Marx and his sociology posse, which has been one of the worst experiences of my life; it's the closest I will ever come to being the victim of torture. Trust me, there will be a scene in Saw 5 where a man is forced to write essays about the sociology of the architecture of buildings. And there will be another where a group of chained up people have debate The X Factor from the points of view of Marx and Gramsci.

My year has been also been very baby orientated. I've been spending time with the other half's baby nephew, who is slowly getting used to me. This year has to be the year where I've made the most people cry, thanks only to him. There was a period where all I had to do was be in the same room before he'd cry. Imagine the wails I got when I was actually handed him in an attempt to make amends. He did once give me his dummy as some sort of conciliation; or insinuating I should shut up. I think he likes me now though...

The other baby in my life is very special (not that the first one isn't). In one of my favourite things to happen this, I was given the pleasure to be his Godfather. You may now all call me Uncle Stuy. I would like to say this was a moment in which I matured, but if anything it's an excuse to be a child. Even if he has been a big worry of my year, what with operations. Thankfully, all went well.

After that, I then spent months being cynical and being sure the London Olympics were going to be complete crap. I was so sure it would be a disaster and that London would just fall to pieces. Then, just like most people, I was surprised that the Olympics ended up being brilliant; Britain actually done something to be proud of. Not only did London actually function, but our country actually won medals; as a nation we excelled at sport. However, while all that was going on, with the other half, I moved into our London apartment with a view of the Thames.

After a large sum of virtual money was transferred to the letting agent, and then more money was paid to have some lines in which I am now allowed to park my car in without incurring a fine, we began the process of 'moving in'. As well as purchasing the aforementioned washing up bowl, we brought a matching drainer, tea towels, bedding, furniture, picture frames and a HD TV. In fact, we moved in just in time to hear the fireworks from the Paralympic Closing Ceremony in Stratford, and think there was a bomb attack in London.

So with that, and four months of doing nothing (along with obviously passing the first year), it was time to return to University to commence the second year. And with that, I began turning my brain into a smoothie, with it yet again being destroyed by the intake of more pointless culture terminology and having to link Capitalism, Culture and Commodity together in an essay. As well as that, I had to write a story and create a prototype webpage, which included an hour long Photoshop tutorial each week, which is like telling Mo Farah how to walk. Yes, I am comparing my photography skills to a double Olympic gold medallist.

Not that I have very much proof to back up my comparison. The closest I've got is a £10 John Lewis voucher and £25. That is because I entered a photography competition and sold a photograph. The former was voted for by people on Facebook, in which I got a runner-up prize for coming 6th. Interestingly, the people who won had the most Facebook friends, but I've already written a blog sulking about that fact. The latter came about in a far more interesting and complimentary way.

I received an email from an advertising company asking to buy one of my photographs to use for a campaign they were putting together for an app. The image of an abandoned trolley by the Thames, which I put on Flickr, was picked up by a man wanting to use it for posters in the UK and USA. In hindsight, I sold the photograph at a discount price, so to speak, but hopefully I may see one of these posters about, which would make it worth it. It's odd to think though, that I'm having more luck with my photography than my writing, despite being at Uni to improve my writing. The only success I had in 2012 with my writing was to visit the The Daily Telegraph offices in London as part of my course. That is despite applying for writing jobs.
So far, it doesn't sound like a very interesting year I've had, apart from obviously becoming The Godfather, Don Collyeroni, and having a London apartment. Therefore, I must do a short list of the other things I have achieved in 2012:

I got a Nectar card this year. I saw both Stewart Lee and Chris Addison live in Canterbury. In Canterbury, I also saw the musical Legally Blonde (not my choice), and the stage performance of The Ladykiller's. In London, we saw the Blood Brothers musical as well as Shrek. But, my favourite experience was seeing The War of the World's live at Wembley Arena, something which I have now said countless times, but I'm still convinced that is the case.

As well as that I earned my third year in no claims discount on my car insurance, managed to celebrate being with my girlfriend for more than one year so far, had a mole cut off the back of my neck, had steroids injected into my chest, suffered with knee pain and had my hair cut. I haggled the price down on a pair of Converse trainers, I've read numerous books, I got a Kindle Fire and a new phone.

That just about sums up my 2012. As you can tell, there was so much to talk about that it took nearly the whole of January to think and write about.

So, what does 2013 possibly hold for me? Well I already know that this year will see me get a picture I took of an unfolding news story story printed in two local newspapers, but unfortunately neither will credit me, and I will also do some work experience at a local newspaper over the Easter period. As predictions go, I expect I will get a fourth year in no claims discount on my car insurance, will still be living in London, still be at Uni, will have seen more shows in London and still be in a relationship.

2013 doesn't sound like it will be overly interesting either. I expect it will just be a 12 month interlude between last year, 2012, and next year, 2014. On that note, I look forward to writing about the passing of 2013 and living in 2014.

Have a good year, y'all!

No comments: