Monday 25 June 2012

Album Review: Maroon 5 - Overexposed (Deluxe Edition)

I would not hesitate to say that Maroon 5 are easily my favourite band, with Adam Levine being my favourite singer (closely followed my Matchbox Twenty and Rob Thomas), so when I opened a link posted on their Facebook Fan group, which stated that they were to release a new album within a matter of months, I nearly exploded; I was more hyper than a kid leaving a sweet shop. Then, a week later, they released their new single, Payphone, on YouTube. I quickly grabbed the mouse and clicked the link. It's all been downhill since…

I should have known that it wouldn't reach my dizzy heights of expectation after the Moves Like Jagger single, which is incredibly popular both sides of the Atlantic - arguably their most popular song to date. That is the only reason I can imagine for them producing a mismatched album which includes mainly electronic, club sounds, with a dash of Funk and sprinkling of their traditional stuff – a return to disco some might call it.

Despite not being particularly keen on the single Payphone upon first listen, it grew on me, so I still endeavoured to buy the album, which arrived the Saturday before its official release, thanks to Play.com. I chucked it into my stereo and pocked in my headphones in, to give it the best possible chance.

One More Night: This is a very funky and very catchy song which has been stuck in my head since I first heard it. Adam Levine's voice is what makes this song for me; I’m really not sure I would like it if someone else were singing it. Regardless, a very nice introduction.

Payphone: When I first heard the song, I disliked most elements of the song, but the general song isn't hugely different from some of their other songs. There are two issues, with the first one being their constant swearing. Never before have Maroon 5 swore in a song – it’s just NOT what they do. The album has a 'Parental Advisory sign on it for goodness sake. The second issue is, obviously, the rapping. It is like someone named 'Wiz' walked in when they were recording and begged them to let him join in. He ruins the song. I never thought I would own a Maroon 5 album with rapping on it, and now that this song is number one in the UK, their first ever number one in the UK, I fear they will be forever stuck on this sound.

Day Light: A very lovely song - the sort of song that makes me remember why I love Maroon 5 so much. Despite the slight 'pop' to it, this is the first song on the album I would recognise as them, despite it having a tinge (a very minute one) of Westlife about it, especially the cheesy going up a key for the last chorus.

Lucky Strike: This is not a typical Maroon 5 song. So many instruments going, but this is quite a rocky song. One you've gotten over the shock, it is actually an alright song, and again is very catchy and it's actually very different from any other song I've heard, which is admirable. One thing I have noticed about this album so far is that this is the third song to include prolonged periods 'Ooooooooooooooh'.

The Man Who Never Lied: This is the fourth song to have 'Oooooooooooooh'. This song has a similar sound to the previous song, again with a large amount of soungs. However, I would say lyric wise, this is again a classic Maroon 5 song, even if a bit repetitive of singing 'I was the man who never lied' - geez, we get it, okay? A good song though.

By this point into the album, only 5 into the 18, it is hard to know what is going to come next, which can be both a good thing as well as a bad thing...

Love Somebody: The first thing you notice about this song is that it is almost completely electronic: Imagine your typical Taio Cruz song (without the vain repetition of his own name). Lyric wise, this is a good song, but this song consists of a lot of things that I dislike about music, such as a constant low thud throughout it, as if someone were being reputedly slapped. It is catchy, but in my opinion, it is the worst song so far. (Fifth song to have 'Oooooooooooooh')

Lady Killer: Again back to the funky sound of the first song, and I really like this song, possibly because its quieter sound is refreshing. The lyrics again are typical of Maroon 5, and this song is one the best on the album thus far. It has lots of different sounds, sure, but not all being played over the top of each other. The part where he goes 'Ooooooooooh' is really nice in this song – nice harmony Adam.

Fortune Teller: I cannot believe I am hearing this sound on this album. There is a sound that is reminiscent of the bass being broken on a speaker, again something you hear a lot in clubs and whatnot. The lyrics are really nice again, but I just will never get over how this song sounds. This is terrible! The whole band needs punching for this song. Maroon 5 songs are not supposed to give its listeners a headache!

Sad: Yes, I am, but anyway. This is a much stripped back song, with just Adam Levine and a piano, and it is such a nice song. I just don't understand how they keep having these contrasting songs. This is such a beautiful song, and not something which is typical of Maroon 5 either, but I really like it. Now, an album of these songs would make me weep with happiness. Something else I have noted is that all the good songs are too short...

Tickets: Another song with swearing, but it’s passable. Now, this song has the electronic sounds which I don't like, but this song is really catchy , and is another of my favourites (I hope I've not been converted already). It is still quite funky, regardless of the broken bass sound, and again Adam's voice is what really makes this song. In fact, this song reminds me a lot of something Scissor Sister's might make. Interestingly, this song has replaced the 'Ooooooooooooh', for 'La La La La La La La'. Not a bad song considering…

Doin’ Dirt: By name, this was a song I expected not to like, but it's not actually that bad. This is very electronic, and lyric wise, this is a really good song. Yet again, it's Adam's voice (Or The Voice as some American's might prefer me to say…) that really makes this song, and is the reason why I don’t hate it. Also, it is catchy and fast paced, and continuing the 'Scissor Sister' section of this album.

Beautiful Good Bye: Another stripped back song, this time in the style of Jack Johnson with a much better voice. This is what I would class as a typical Maroon 5 song though, and this is a really lovely and beautiful song, with really nice lyrics and has put a smile on my otherwise bewildered face. I just wonder why the rest of the album couldn't be like this, because it'd be brilliant.

Wipe Your Eyes: Starts with some Bollywood female singers, which is, odd, to say the least. Otherwise, this song combines a bit of rock with a bit of funk and a touch of Taio Cruz again. This is a catchy song which I really like. I feel like I'm getting repetitive, but I really like this song because of the lyrics and Levine's voice. I really like how this song changed and progresses. Even if the Bollywood singers are a bit off putting.

Wasted Years: Such a funky song - I'm not sure you can get funkier than this. This is nearly the ultimate funk song. This song has such a good sound to it, and again with the combination of lyrics, is brilliant. I really love this song, because it is also reminiscent of their last album – the chorus is brilliant again with beautiful harmonies. Also, it features a return to the 'Oooooooooh'.

Kiss: Still on the funky element, but this song has an Elvis Presley element in the way they have performed it. However, this is the song originally performed by the artist formally known as Prince, (I'd rather they sang 'Raspberry Beret' mind), but this is best version I've heard this song. This is the point where the album should end in the Deluxe Edition as it would make a really nice ending.

Moves Like Jagger (Studio Recording from The Voice): I don't know why they added the brackets, as this is the single version. Never-the-less, this fits on this album. I have, however, heard this song so much thanks to the radio, that I have developed bitterness towards this song. The best bit of this song is the last 4 seconds…

Payphone (Supreme Cuts Remix): An odd version of this song. It sounds like Maroon 5 are performing 100 yards away from the recording equipment in a busy building site which has a resident DJ on the premises. It has then been slowed down to unfortunately make it last longer... That's all I have to say about this version.

Payphone (Cutmore Remix): I have to ask why we need three versions of one song on an album. You can buy remixes of songs on Amazon - if I wanted them, I would look for them. I don't, and this has made the album end uncomfortably, like someone bringing dead, stuffed cats into a family portrait. Anyway, as for this remix, imagine Maroon 5 performing in a drug-fuelled state at Ibiza…

And so, that is the album. On the whole, I have some brand new Maroon 5 songs that I adore, and a few I could easily live without. As an album, I am disappointed however. I would have liked them to pick a sound and use it throughout; hearing them doing some funky songs is great, and I would have loved an album of it. But, thanks to the digital revolution, I can pick and choose which songs to put on my iPod, thus meaning that the song Fortune Teller can be wiped from existence, as well the remixes.

And a few more minor issues with the album: Would Maroon 5 please stop making album cases out of cardboard – use plastic. The album inlay is rubbish with it consisting of only a few pages, and each page only consisting of a mug shot of each band member. And as for the album artwork, it’s as if someone ingested a 64 pack of Crayola, and that is what came out of their bottom… Maybe I’m just being too picky.

Anyway, it's a shame we now have to wait yet another two years for their next album, because that is the average time between their albums, so I'll just have to build my hopes up for the new Matchbox Twenty album in September. Judging by their new single She's So Mean, it's looking good.

No comments: