Saturday 2 October 2010

Album Review: Train - Save Me, San Francisco

I should just point out, in case you have not yet figured it out from these music blogs; you shouldn’t expect great in-depth analyse of the production of the music. I don't know enough to even try and blag my way through pretending. To be honest, I just know what sounds good and what don’t; what works and what doesn't and why I like it or why I don't like it. You could say I am naive and ignorant to the ways of music. I am a user. I will happily take the music and listen to it, but I'm not giver. I don't know all about riffs and the like. Anyway, I have more albums to ignorantly review.
Despite that fact that I have only ever owned, and indeed listened to, one Train song previous to this album, I was already a huge fan. For as long as I can remember, I have had their song 'Drops Of Jupiter' on every single computer, laptop, Phone, MP3 Player and iPod I have ever owned. I never looked up any other songs or albums for fear of being disappointed, due to 'Drops Of Jupiter' being such a fantastic and influential song to me. It is definitely in my top 5 songs - ever. I approached buying their newest album with great trepidation; worried that I may ruin the magic they have created in my head. Thankfully, it wasn't a waste of money and my respect for them has only increased. Some of the most beautiful songs I have heard for a long time.

The first song just so happens to be the album title track: 'Save Me, San Francisco'. It’s a happy song; a very happy song. It’s a catchy song; a very catchy song. I like it rather a lot. It doesn't have the deep meaning which other songs have, but it’s just a song, and a very pleasant one at that. A good opening song; and it convinced me straight away I hadn't made a mistake buying it. The next song is 'Hey, Soul Sister' which is their single and is also one my many favourite songs from the album. It is from the same league of 'Drops Of Jupiter' in meaning, emotion and catchiness. I think the song is really good and I can just keep listening to it.

'I Got You' is another example of a Train song being very catchy and having the ability to evoke deep meanings. It is a distinctive song which almost seems to have a soul feeling. I can imagine an American black soul choir being able to sing the song. I very much love the song. 'Parachute' is yet another song which is just squashed full of deep meaning and emotion (are you noticing a trend with this album yet?), and as a result, it is a great song with immense power.

As you can probably predict by the song title, 'This Ain't Goodbye', this is indeed another song which is full of emotion. It is yet another great song on the album that is easy to get stuck into your head and fall in love with. I adore this song just because of how much deep meaning this song must have. 'If It's Love' is the next song and it still has that emotion, but this time it evokes happy emotions, which is a nice change. The song is very catchy and, yet again, I love the song.

'You Already Know' is the catchiest of them all I think; once you have got past the one minute long introduction. You will be sat there pre-empting what I’m about to say, that ‘the lyrics are deep and meaning’... And you’ll be correct - it is. I also really love this song and it yet again has that happy emotion and also has such huge power. The, despite the fact the first note he sings has the ability to take you by surprise and scare you, 'Words' is a very good song. It has a powerful, dramatic feel to it and surprisingly has that air of emotion to it.

'Brick By Brick' is very pleasant with the usual and expected deep meaning that makes up every other song. It sounds great and the power of the singer’s voice really makes the song seem special. 'Breakfast In Bed' is in the line-up for my favourite song on the album. It has deep meaning, is catchy and it is just an amazing song in my opinion. When listening to this song, I like to just sit back, close my eyes and think (apart from when I'm driving - that'd be dangerous). I adore the lyrics of the song too. "You're the best book I ever read, You're the smartest thing I ever said". Sure, they may be a touch on the cheesy side, but it just an example of how superb, at least I, think they are.

Obviously, 'Marry Me' is a lovely, poetic song with lots of deep, beautiful meanings. I think maybe this song is just taking it a bit too far for them. It's a good song, and I like it - it's lovely, but I can't help think maybe they have exceeding the emotion limits for the album. That is my only criticism of the song. Otherwise, it's great. The last song is the cherry on a delicious cake. 'Drops Of Jupiter (Live)'. Okay, so I do have the real version of the song, but it is nice hearing it live; you appreciate just how good they are as artists. Also, you can't have too much of a good thing!

I am overjoyed that I brought the album now. The album makes for fantastic listening in my humble opinion, and is one of the best albums of the year. There isn't one song on it that I don't like, and it is just very consistent throughout. I cannot fault it at all. I find it hard to choose which song is my favourite. I think if someone put a gun to my head, I'd say either 'Hey, Soul Sister' or 'Breakfast In Bed', but I'm afraid they would have to shoot me after that, as I can't honestly choose between the two. I am now driven to buy some of Train's previous albums, now I know that 'Drops Of Jupiter' wasn't just a one-off song.

2 comments:

Tyson said...

Hi:

My name is Josephine and I work for a marketing firm called Night Agency (http://nightagency.com/). After seeing your post about Train, we thought you and your followers would be interested in the current promotion our client Hanes is running with the band. The grand prize winner and a friend will meet Train and see them perform live. Please visit http://comfortrewards.com/ for more information.

It would be great if you would post about the Train promotion.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

Josephine

Anonymous said...

Hi,

If you would like to contact me regarding the above post, feel free to email me at evan.h@nightagency.com. Thanks!