Monday 4 October 2010

Album Review: Maroon 5 - Hands All Over (Deluxe Edition)

We have now reached my seventh and last edition of blogs reviewing my favourite albums of the year. Of course, I couldn't not review the new Maroon 5 album considering the love affair I have had going with them since 2004 when I first heard 'This Love'. That is a song which basically got my love for music kick-started when I heard it on the radio. Anyway, after this blog, I will be taking a much needed short break from blogging. I have done nine blogs in ten days. Anyway, let's get going on this album review.
I am slightly biased to this album for the fact that Maroon 5 are one of my favourite all-time bands. My first proper album that I ever brought was Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane. Okay, I had previously brought The Fast Food Rockers album, but you can't hold that against me - I wasn't old enough to know that was essentially the cheesiest of all the cheesiest albums ever produced.

On my first listen through of this album, I was a disappointed that the songs were not as great as I expected. Anyway, on my second listen, I couldn't see my problem and rather enjoyed it (despite one song, but I'll cover that later). It just proves - you shouldn't always judge on your first opinion.

First song: 'Misery'. This is the single which isn't getting much radio time, which is good because it stops me from hearing it too much. As Maroon 5 singles go however, it isn't one of their best. Still rather good, I'll give them that, but lacking that 'raw emotion' we see in the first album singles. However, it is very similar to their singles from the second album. The second song,' Give A Little More' is rather nice and as second songs go, it was alright. It was nothing that jumped out as amazing, but still perfect for the album.

The third song, 'Stutter', is when it all starts. This is the first song on the album that jumps out, grabs you with both hands by the ears and forces you to pay attention. It takes you by surprise and I certainly love the song due to it being incredibly catchy and the lyrics are very nice also. Remember it as one of my favourites. The follow up song is 'Don't Know Nothing', and it seems to work very well. A very well placed song within the album. It has a great catchy tune which has the power to stick with you for hours after listening. The lyrics are also great; but the chorus in this song is beautifully crafted with immense power.

The next song is' Never Gonna Leave This Bed' and is what I would describe as classic, with it having the easy going sound to it and also the deep, meaningful lyrics we expect from Maroon 5. This song goes back to their roots and has everything we expect in a Maroon 5 song, and the first of many which appear on the album; with track six being another example. 'I Can't Lie' is an incredibly catchy song and is, again, what I would describe as a classic Maroon 5 song. It again has that easy, slow sound with a distinctive beat. Not only is the beat catchy to this song, but so are the lyrics.

Then we seem to receive a metaphorical shovel to the head. This is the worst song on the album, and maybe even one of their worse songs ever, due to it sticking out like an out-and-proud gay person in a business meeting. Track seven, 'Hands All Over', which also happens to be the album title track, is what I would describe as 'The black sheep of the album'. Don't get me wrong, it is a good song and it is a catchy song, but it is a song that really does not fit into the album. It sounds like Kraftwerk have done a duet them, and that isn't a good thing, even if Kraftwerk are quite good. It is just completely inappropriate for the album. I have now reached the stage where I just skip it every time I play the album. I want to like it; and maybe I would of if it were in Maroon 5's previous album It Won't Be Soon Before Long.

Then you have track 8, a song called 'How'. It really doesn't work following that disastrous song, but forgetting that, it is such an incredibly beautiful and amazing song which is exactly what I expect from Maroon 5. I adore the song, and it is completely reminiscent of the Songs About Jane album. It is one of those emotional songs that can lift your spirit. In fact, so are the following three songs. They may possibly be my favourite Maroon 5 songs, ever. They are so good; I don't feel at all angry about that absurd song preceding them.
'Get Back Into My Life' has a brilliantly catchy beat to it, and the lyrics are rather powerful and lovely; I also love the harmonies in the song. 'Just A Feeling' is another slow and calm song, which I think to be just very beautiful. It is a song where you cannot help but listen to the lyrics and they are a joy to listen to. I am just in love with the song. It’s moving; yet catchy. 'Runaway' is my favourite of the favourites. The very first song I heard of the album as it was playing when I walked in HMV, and I feel in love instantly. It’s a short song, but catchy, epically powerful and very, very deep.

The final song on the normal album is 'Out Of Goodbyes', which is a duet done with a new, similar band called Lady Antebellum. It is a rather lovely song, but it is very odd hearing a female voice on an album by an all-male band. However, that's not to say it's bad, it's just a tad odd. It has a lovely, country sound to it which I find rather pleasing to the ear.

Due to me buying the 'Deluxe Edition', I get an extra 6 six songs, for not very much more. ‘Last Chance' and 'No Curtain Call' are the last two unique songs on the album and they are very good. The former of the two songs is an incredibly catchy song with great power and is yet again a tad reminiscent of Songs About Jane. 'No Curtain Call' is probably the most powerful song of the lot with the loud, distinctive drum beat which gives it this poignant feel. The lyrics are also really good and it is yet another song on the album I like.

We then get treated to acoustic versions of two songs on the album: 'Misery' and 'Never Gonna Leave This Bed'. Both originals are very good, but I would be very quick to point out that the acoustic versions are actually better. They seem to have more meaning without all the added, unnecessary production. One thing they do, which is cheesy in their acoustic songs, is start with '1, 2, 1, 2, 3' and I just wish they didn't.

The album ends with two covers of other people’s songs, which I they do very well, but I see no obvious point to them. The covers are Alicia Keys - 'If I Ain't Got You' and Queen - 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'. They work really quite well and they certainly have done the songs justice. It also is a very nice way to end and round off a very good album

Despite the Deluxe Edition carrying on for little over an hour, the album doesn't feel very long. You can listen to the whole album of 18 songs, and still think 'That didn't last long' and then realise you've lost an hour of your life. I don't know why that it is, but either way, it is one heck of an amazing album. I have become addicted to the album. Maroon 5 are my drug at the moment. I can't listen to one song, without having to listen to the rest. It has incredible power.

Would I recommend this album? Most certainly yes! I love it. Better than their last album and a close contender with Songs About Jane. If you love Maroon 5's original songs, then you will love this album (despite the one song). It isn't as depressing as their last albums either, and that's what makes them even better. My top album of the year, easily!

No comments: