Sunday 3 October 2010

Album Review: The Divine Comedy - Bang Goes The Knighthood

Most of the albums I have reviewed thus far regularly contain the words 'deep', 'meaningful' and occasionally 'powerful', when describing the songs. To be honest, it just shows how rubbish I am at reviewing albums. I just sound like a broken record; but you can bet that the record that is broken could be described as powerful, meaningful and deep. Anyway, I shall try and expand my vocabulary before attempting this again, but let us crack of with today's album review.
I like this album cover with the lead singer of The Divine Comedy, Neil Hannon, sitting in a bath, dressed as an aristocrat, with a black Labrador; which is a symbol for the song 'Bang Goes The Knighthood. It is different, and it strikes me as looking slightly 'Pythonesque'; as if he would fit in nicely in the 'Ministry Of Silly Walks' sketch.

The Divine Comedy is not going to be an album in which I will regularly comment on how deep and meaningful the songs are; because they really are not. As the band name suggests, the album is just a load of comedy songs. Maybe not songs that make you fall about in hysterics, but if you think about them and listen carefully, then you can chuckle. I have always quite liked them; and this album isn't any different. As producers of music, they are quite catchy songs too; so it's all good!

The first song is 'Down In The Streets' which is pleasant and has a very nice beat. It really is just an introductory song, and it works in that way. It is a good song. The next song is 'The Complete Banker'; a song about the recession essentially, and it happens to be my favourite on the album. It is very catchy and easily gets stuck in my head, and if you listen to the lyrics carefully, you hear the humour. If you don't listen, well it still makes for a good song.

'Neapolitan Girl' is on the subject of exactly what the song title is. It is another well made, catchy song, but there isn't a lot to say about it, other than that I like it. The album title track; 'Bang Goes The Knighthood' is a song about aristocrats and their risky sexual adventures. It isn't a great song but it is still good and has a nice, swaying beat.  'At The Indie Disco' is obviously about young people and their social and musical ways. It’s a nice song to just listen too with good music production again.

'Have You Ever Been In Love' does exactly what it says on the title. It's about the joyous event of finding love. It has a lovely symphony behind the song and it is quite nice, lovely, and pleasant; as a song of this topic should be of course. 'Assume The Perpendicular' is also a nice song, but I'm not a hundred percent on its actual topic. Anywho, it's still good to listen to. 'The Lost Art Of Conversation' is a great, catchy song which yet again is exactly what it says on the tin. The lyrics are on the random side, and it lifts the album up again. It is full of beautiful whimsy.

'Island Life' has a lovely tune but as for the actual song, I'm not entirely sure of its point, but it doesn't ruin the album, and with it having a lovely, calm feel to it; can easily be listened to. The actual music sounds like it could be from an old Disney film from the 1950's which is set in Victorian Britain. 'When A Man Cries' has (Yes, he still manages to say it in this review) deep emotion as it is a thoughtful evocation of mans vulnerability and it has this powerful element. The orchestra in the song also make it sound magnificent and poignant.

'Can You Stand Upon One Leg' is a lovely, silly song and is full of whimsy, and is another edition to 'The Best Songs On The Album'. I actually rather love the lyrics, and it is partly about the writing of a funny song. The lyrics "Can you write a silly song? It's harder than you think" stick out for me. Towards the end he holds a note for rather impressive 30 seconds, which lasts to the end of the song. It's a daft song! The final song on the album I like and is called 'I Like'. It is a lovely, catchy love song and is still lovely and daft. The line in this song that sticks out to me is "I love your mild, political stances". A nice end to the album.

I will admit that the album has its occasional misfires such as 'Island Life', but I really like the album. It blooms at the start, and then withers a tad in the middle before reviving and coming back into bloom towards the end. The Divine Comedy is essentially a Comedy, Orchestral Pop band, which is still going strong, even with this being the tenth album.

It is a shame though, because they still don't really get the praise they truly deserve. Their most popular song happens to be 'National Express', which people may not know by name, but if you were to listen to it on YouTube, I expect you would recognise it once it got to the chorus. It is a shame. My favourite song of The Divine Comedy is 'To Die A Virgin', which has some of the best lyrics I have heard in my opinion. One of the little gems in the song in my opinion is "With all the bombs and bird flu, We'll all probably be dead soon, And here we are in your bedroom, Oh did I tell you I love you...” just for how apt it is and also it's clever rhyming. Anyway, I recommend this group to anyone who likes subtle satire and orchestral music.

No comments: