Saturday 7 August 2010

A Virgin Choosing Between A Vampire Or A Werewolf

The latest instalment of the 'Twilight' saga was released recently, which is called 'Eclipse'. It always comes hand-in-hand with depressed teenagers being a little bit excited and sales of Muse songs increasing. Now obviously, I went to the cinema and of course I did not watch it at home on a pirate copy which I borrow off a friend. I wouldn't steal a car, so of course I would not watch a pirate movie. I had a few problems with the people in front keep standing up and 'eclipsing' my view of the film, and for some reason my eyes had regular trouble trying to focus on the screen; kept going blurry. Despite these annoying things happening at the 'cinema', I managed to watch the film.
Corr, Look at those depressed faces! Just cheer up will you!
People who have seen this one or previous movies will be aware that they are not the type of films that make you walk out the cinema with a big smile. These are the sort of movies that make you want to wear black clothes and never want to smile again. This one was no exception. Eclipse certainly is better in that I would consider it more 'fun' than previous ones. I use the word 'fun' very, very, very lightly though. In comparison to Toy Story 3, it really is not, but in comparison to New Moon, it was.

The movie is more 'fun' because there is just much more action and the story line isn't so much about Bella's self indulgence during her period of even worse depression. This has rather dramatic fight scenes, and the story isn't as one dimensional as the others. It just felt more thought-out and clever in my opinion. It had background information about different characters, which I feel helped a lot. Like the previous two films, it still follows the same formula for the development of the movie. A big, long build up of about an hour, then the eventual climax of the story before a nice, happy resolution before the next film starts; and repeat.

There is a fight scene between the Vampires, Werewolves and 'New Borns'. For people who don't care much for all this depressive, vampire stuff; 'New Borns' are what they call people who have just been turned to Vampires. The stage known as New Borns is when they are at their strongest and blah, blah, blah.
There is happiness though! The Vampires and Werewolves join forces and work as one to fight against these New Borns. How very happy and adorable! They put their differences aside and forget their previous feuds. However, even the fact they worked as one to defeat these New Borns doesn’t cheer them up.

Instead of the lead female character, Bella, spending the whole movie looking depressed in her bedroom, she actually went out. All these movies have her doing a regular monologue throughout, of how she feels and thinks. They are SO depressing. Just her tone of voice brings your mood right down, before you even listen to whatever it is she is moaning about. I spend half the movies just wanting to tell her to just 'Cheer the f*** up!' This one was even worse. The monologues seemed more regular and even less happy. I don't think there is any acting at all; I swear all the actors just spend the whole time sulking.

Then there is the kissing. As if I haven't been depressed enough by the movie for the fact everyone goes about with long, pale faces with monotone voices which are full of depression, I have to see people kissing every 10 minutes. Kissing. Kissing. Kissing. For people who get a lot of affection, they are bloody miserable. I'd be running about in a giggly joy if I got kissed even half as much they do. Bella kisses Edward, then kisses Jacob, then kisses Edward again. I'm waiting for Edward and Jacob to kiss; now that would liven the story up a bit.
...And even more kissing.
The music is just as bad though. If I were to go to HMV, buy the Eclipse soundtrack and listen to it in the car home, which is only a 20 minute journey, I am sure I would have attempted to kill myself numerous times. The music is even more depressing than those stupid monologues. Bearing what I just said in mind though, the soundtrack is better than in the last movie; so imagine what impact the New Moon soundtrack would have on someone... You can tell how sad all these teenagers are in the movie though, just by this one line: 'I love this song; come and dance!' In the background, Muse was playing. Now, I also love Muse, but I don't think anyone can ever consider it as dancing music. Maybe if by dancing you mean a group of people standing together, swaying their shoulders from side to side, but otherwise, no. Why don't these kids put real party music on, like Robbie Williams - Rock DJ. Now, that I would love to see in the next Twilight movie.

As an overall conclusion of the movie, I did kind of enjoy it. If it wasn't for my friends, I would have let this phenomenon just pass me by, but since I got forced to watch the movie, I have got into them somewhat. However, for someone who isn't overly bothered, it was kind of boring, which is why I am glad I went to the cinema to watch it because if I had stayed at home, I would have started playing games on my phone halfway through the movie while making occasional notes about the film in my notepad...

No comments: