Thursday 5 August 2010

A Toy Story Too Far?

Absolutely, definitely not! 10 years I waited for that moment; that moment when I could walk in a cinema and go and see the third Toy Story film. There is still even a part of me which cannot believe that I have actually, finally seen it. It still baffles me. I've spent most of my memorable life with only these two Toy Story movies on Video that I can watch, and watched regularly, and then there is a third story. That was hard to get my head around. The rest of the evening after seeing Toy Story 3 I was buzzing, and most of the following day; the greatest two hours of my life possibly. It was also in 3D.
Now, I have never seen anything in 3D on a screen before, so this added to my excitement; even if Odeon did charge an extra pound for the privilege of wearing glasses. I'm not going to ruin the movie for anyone who is yet to see it and might actually stumble upon this blog, but if you are going to see it in 3D, don't expect to be wowed by objects coming towards you. Apart from the odd moment in the film where objects came at you, the three dimensional part wasn't that noticeable. However, the adverts were something else. Some of them were in 3D, and some of them were rather good. I even screamed in a childish way when a giant football came out the screen at me.

As you always get with Disney Pixar films, there was the trade mark 5 minute mini-movie at the start, and this was more clever than humorous. Previous ones have been incredibly funny, and on odd occasion, funnier than the actual film. This was different. It still had the humour element, but it was more about showing how impressive 3D animation can be, and exhibiting its potential. It was amazing, and I was in awe of it. This made up for the lack of 3D activities in the actual film.

As usual, the adverts did actually go on for much longer than I felt necessary. The fact I had just spent £10.40 on my ticket and glasses, along with everyone else in the cinema, made me think that there were no need for sponsors. Anyway, 20 minutes and an entire tub of popcorn later, the film actually started. I may have spent a majority of the film giggling like a little, impish child who has drunk far too much Coke, but that was only because I was very excited. The film itself was brilliant. Excellent. Fantastic. Awesome. Unbelievable. Superb. Exceptional. Tremendous. Stupendous. Phenomenal. Marvellous. Extraordinary. Hilarious. Overwhelming. Sad, and Good.

Like every other person who has seen and loved the previous two films, I was incredibly worried that I would not like it, and that it would just murder the Toy Story title. The sequels are never as good as the original. Toy Story 2 was lucky to overcome this stereotype. Toy Story 3 just proves how great the writers are and how strong the characters are. I like that each movie covers stages in toy's life. The first movie being about a new toy. The second showing a toy being broken. The third being when the child's grown up and no longer wants toys. I think they are amazing story lines, and I am incredibly pleased that the third was not a flop.

I, and I'm confident to say I am not the only one, cried twice during the film; in the scenes of the final 10 minutes. It was so very moving; very apt for their original audience as well. The people, like me, who where children when the first Toy Story film came out are now at the age when some of them are moving away to University and college, and face the torment of deciding what to do with their toys. I don't for another year at least due to circumstances of the Chicken Pox kind, but enough of how unlucky I am.
The day I saw Toy Story 3, 22nd July 2010, was possibly the most anticipated day of my life so far, and is was the best day for quite some time. Even though it was nothing more than wearing glasses in a dark room, watching a screen with lots of people I've never before met, it was a poignant moment in my life. I'm not really sure how to explain it without you branding me as 'daft', but the fact Toy Story 1 & 2 were the movies of my childhood which were my favourites, most watched and which shaped me to who I am today, is brilliant. For a movie to have so much power and influence upon one’s life is amazing. There being a third movie boggles my mind. I still cannot quite believe it. I have seen Toy Story 3!

Even though I do very much love the Toy Story films, I do hope they don't do a fourth. Lots of movies have numerous sequels. Shrek is a prime example. There are now four movies, half of which I have not/will not see. Just because it worked once or twice, doesn't mean it will continue to work. There is the opportunity for a fourth Toy Story, but I hope they don't take it up, and just leave it on the emotional ending of the third.

The fact Disney Pixar is releasing a ‘Monsters Inc 2’ and a ‘Cars 2’ worries me a lot. They were good movies (Monsters Inc more so) but I just think maybe they should come up with more, different ideas, like UP and Wall-E; both brilliant and different from their other movies. They need to do more like them. However, whatever they create now will not be as brilliant as Toy Story in my opinion, but they are more than welcome to keep trying and prove me wrong. Maybe they will be doing something as equally brilliant for any future, small people who are 50% like me (A.K.A: My children) who I might have. If not, I'll resort to buying the Toy Story movies on whatever media format we are using in the future. Maybe it will be known as 'HD,3D,36DD,DVD'. Who knows?

P.S. Incidentally, 'HD,3D,36DD,DVD' will stand for: High definition, Three Dimensional, Nice-Sized breasts on a Digitally Versatile Disc.

No comments: