Monday 9 February 2009

Let’s Get, Twittering... Twittering


In case you are one of the few left who doesn’t know what Twitter is, it basically is yet another online social networking website, which essentially lets you write a question, pondering, or whatever you want, in 140 characters. A good quote I read this week was in The Guardian by a Mr Charlie Brooker who said that Twitter is the online equivalent of popping bubble wrap.

Twitter has been getting lots of media converge lately with the snow storms being experienced over here in the UK, and also because a TV star (Stephen Fry), got stuck in a lift, and spent his time ‘Twittering’. Thus boosting Twitter into the starlight, and helped remind me that I had made an account a few weeks earlier.

It is amazing how many celebrities are on Twitter. I had a moment earlier where I went through and added comedians I know. It ranges from Jonathan ‘Woss’, Stephen Fry, Jimmy Carr, Tim Minchin, John Cleese and many others, but they are to name some I am following. I do however have one friend on here, which amongst all the celebrities, looks a little weird, but it makes him look big and famous.

He has returned the favour, and is following me, as are two other people, who I have never heard of, and probably never will. So I feel I have succeeded at it already. The world shall know of my on going’s and thoughts. If I say something random during the day, I shall add it to my Twitter. I am going to try and say one thing every day, which has a bit of humour. I may stuff it up sooner or later, but I think this could be something I get addicted to.

Twitter though, to sum it up in one simile, is like a proud stalker. You follow someone, throughout their day-to-day lives, but you are very open about it. You are basically shouting to them, 'I'm following you!' and there is nothing they can do about it. Well they can block you, but thats about it.

To me though, it is basically Facebook, without all garbage. You essentially just put in your status update, and read others. But I’m not going to deny, it is interesting to see what celebrities are up to, for instance as I’m typing this, Graham Linehan (writer of things like Father Ted and IT Crowd) is playing online poker. The life of a comedy writer is bloody interesting.

The gobbledegook used at Twitter as well are... interesting. Just like Facebook ones, if you have a Facebook profile, you are a ‘Facebooker’. You ‘Tweet’ when you write something and having an account means you are ‘Twittering’.

So, if you want to add me, my profile is at
http://twitter.com/MrStuy.

Toodles m’dears and I’ll try not to leave so long before I write another blog.
Stuy

No comments: