Saturday 18 October 2008

Peter Kay’s Britain’s got the Pop Factor and Possibly a New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly on Ice


Well, for a start, I’m going to refer to the show as ‘that show’ to save time and space.

Having proved with Phoenix Nights that music and satire are what he likes to do, he was at it again with that show. I’ve liked other stuff he has done and do find him funny. I, like most people remember him most for his ‘Garlic Bread?’ comments. So I, like most people I expect, were looking forward to this show which essentially was ‘taking the piss’ out of talent shows.

Kay played Geraldine McQueen, who is a transsexual, which I feel is a reference to Nadia a few years ago on Big Brother. Anyway, so it was very well written, and on paper I’m sure it looks like a great idea. But the show, to be honest, was rather pathetic I felt. It had lots of very funny moments, which you recall from x-factor and similar shows. My two favourite bits were the name of the group ‘2 up, 2 down’ because 2 were in wheelchairs and my other favourite moment was when Peter in his guise sang ‘…free Nelson Mandela, ella ella…’. Other than that, yes it was rubbish.

He managed to reunite the old Pop Idol trio; Pete, Nicki and Neil, which adds a realistic feel to the show and managed to persuade Cat Deeley to present it, which wasn’t his best idea he has ever had. Every time she said the name correctly, she had a little smile of accomplishment, which I hated, like her.

The show pattern was also just like x-factor and similar shows, the performances to start with, then later on a results show. The way they ended the show was very lazy though I thought. She chokes half way through her song, and that is pretty much where it ends. So, I was rather disappointed. It had the potential to be great, but instead wasn’t.

The thing, that really cheeses me off, is that he has actually had the cheek to release the song, and even more irritating is that people have actually been buying it. And you look in the top 40 tomorrow and I bet it will be number one, like every other song he does for charity, because of his fan club.
I have one thing that I’ve pondering though, and that is, was it for charity or is it just to raise money for his weekly grocery shopping? The single in HMV was £1.99 and I’m guessing he would have sold around 500,000 units, so that’s a million pound and that phone number during the show. Did anyone try it? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was real and was another phone line scam in television. Every little helps in this current financial climate.

Considering it was the first original work for British television that Peter Kay has written and starred in for four years, it wasn’t the comeback I hoped for. Shame really.
And if you want to watch the video of the song click the following link...

1 comment:

Being Me said...

I feel the same. I didnt really understand the point of it..

Rather confusing !