Saturday 11 October 2008

4OD and Paul Merton

This was a great excuse to download 4OD. I’m not sure whether it is channel 4 themselves, or my laptop, but it is slow. I’m sure it’s the laptop, it is a lazy git, just like me!
So Paul Merton. He is quite easily one of my favourite comedians. Most people know him as the ‘quick witted guy of Have I Got New For You’, which he is, and that’s how I found him. But, he has been on ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway?, known as ‘that improvisational show on Dave’.

Well, I keep trying to find Paul Merton: the series, on DVD. Could I find it, no. Downloaded 4OD a few hours ago, and finally I find series 1 and 2. I’ve watched the first 2 episodes already, and I’m currently watching the third one.

You’ve got to love him. It is extremely random with what’s contained in it and the contexts they use it for, and it shows how extremely amazing his wit is. Even though it’s from1991, it could easily be shown on TV now, and be popular.
I don’t know how to explain it really, you’ve got to watch it to understand what I mean, but it is such a clever program written and performed by and even clever person. He seems to know how to make people laugh just by saying one word.

You watch it now and recognise some of the other comedians who star in it. The guy off My Hero is the second episode and Caroline Quentin has appeared a few times already. In 1991 though, they weren’t popular, which shows it helped excel new talent, maybe. I don’t know.

There is one thing though, it is quite predictable. Although, I’m not sure whether it’s because it is obvious or just because I know how his humour works. I don’t know.


I would compare him to Rowan Attkinson, known as ‘Mr Bean’ or ‘Blackadder’ to idiots. I found out a few hours ago that him and John Cleese will be performing around 12th November at ‘The Princess Trust’ for the first time for years, so I am looking forward to that a lot, and also Have I Got News For You returns this Friday - YAY!

Sorry for keep rambling on, but hey!! It’s over for another week.

No comments: