Monday 30 December 2013

200 - The Stuart Awards 2013

Six years. Who would have thought I would carry this self-indulgent awards 'ceremony' on for this long? Certainly not me. Quite rightly, past years have had people spoiling the fun, and commenting on how nobody cares about my (expletive) awards; but I question why they read it in the first place then.
So, I take this opportunity to allow any would-be trolls to press the close button on your browser - thank you.


Have they gone? Great. I often think they should put a similar announcement over the speakers on trains and planes, asking any would-be terrorists to kindly vacate.

Anyway, on with the show! Another year has passed, and enclosed in it has been many terrible things that mankind wishes to forget, like Margret Thatcher, the Woolwich terrorist attack, and sitcom failure on BBC1: The Wright Way. However, many great things have happened. A baby was born, Andy Murray won Wimbledon, and we found out that horse meat doesn't taste too bad. As well as that, this year I wrote my 200th post for this blog… In fact, this is that 200th post.

Wow… What. A. Year.

Music
Most Annoying Song of the Year: This year, this award goes to the song which gets stuck in my head, just like a piece of beef between my teeth. I try everything, but I just cannot get it out. Ylvis - The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?), is an inaccurate song, which is accompanied by an obnoxious music video, and reminds me of a time when The Crazy Frog ruled the airwaves. The Norwegian comedy act clearly knew what they were doing. Now, sing along with me: "Ning ning ning ning ning ning ning…"

Best Song of the Year: Surprisingly, this doesn't go to One Direction's inaptly-named song Best Song Ever. It is in fact harder to decide, what with most of my best musical discoveries being from other years. That said, OneRepublic - Counting Stars, is a song I almost-always sing along too, and thus, walks away with the prize.

Over-played Song of the Year: Back in March, I would have declared Pink - Just Give Me A Reason featuring Nate Ruess to be an early winner of Best Song... However, having heard it again and again and again and again and again… and again, I hate it. Thus, it wins this award instead.

Album of the Year: Again, due to enjoying older music more, this has a surprise winner. However, I cannot fault it. The album puts a smile on my face, and has been my album of choice when commuting in London. So, for anyone in London who saw a grinning idiot on the DLR on a Friday morning, it was probably me listening to ex-Westlife singer Shane Filan - You and Me.

Find of the Year: Because I have spent so much of this year catching up on music I have missed from previous years, it felt right to make up an award just so I could give it to Sara Bereilles - Kaleidoscope Heart from 2010. I thought it a fantabulous album that clearly didn't get the recognition it deserved.

Most Uncomfortable Music Video of the Year: This has been a hard one to pick. Runner up to this award is Miley Cyrus swinging on a wrecking ball, wearing no clothes and licking a blow-up hammer; it's like watching someone's mental breakdown. Regardless, the award goes to Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines. Not only because it uses an unnecessary amount of hashtags (frankly, one is unnecessary in my opinion), but even as a pervy man, I found the unorthodox amount of naked women disgusting and pointless.

TV/Film
Drama of the Year: Everyone was raving about it, including me. Everyone was comparing notes with everyone else about who they suspected the killer to be, including me. Broadchurch has to be the biggest success on TV this year, and is a great competitor to the likes of those popular drama imports I haven't watched.

Series of the Year: Doctor Who has won it every year previous, so why should this year be an exception? It's the Ant & Dec of this award. The special episode in November was amazing, if only because it contained John Hurt, and will be remembered as one of the greatest episodes. However, the Christmas special will not. Is it just me that thought it disappointing exit for Matt Smith? But long-live Capaldi and his eyes!

TV Newcomer of the Year: Who would have thought a show where you watching other people watching TV would be so brilliant. Gogglebox is a marvellous and intriguing thing. It is essentially Twitter on television, and sits perfectly in a era where everyone is a reviewer. It's a non-scripted version of TV Burp. It can be funny, heart-warming, romantic, and, most importantly, real people and real lives. The gay couple are my favourite; 'Hitler was born with all this teeth’ said one. ‘The dirty evil bastard’ said the other, deadpan.

Comedy Disappointment of the Year: I was ready for it to be amazing, and I refused to believe otherwise the first week. I loved The Thin Blue Line, and this was to be its long-awaited replacement. Same writer and similar cast. Yet, Ben Elton really flopped with The Wright Way, with an identical story and jokes each week, and over-use of stereotypes. It was like he wasn't even trying!

Comedy of the Year: Not only does this win because one of the main characters is called Stuart, but it also wins because it contains one of the best casts of any sitcom, ever, and it is thankfully funny. A lot of sitcoms these days forget to be funny. Regardless, Vicious on ITV has been a treat to watch. Of course, it suffers from overacting from Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi, but it is amazingly juxtaposed by the underacting of Marcia Warren.

Best TV Theme Tune: 'Oh, Oh, it's the Kevin Eldon show, it's the Kevin Kevin Eldon show, it's called It's Kevin...' It has been in my head since I first heard it. Check it out here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0167dbf

 Film of the Year: Having seen a rich variety of films, I have chosen Rush as the ultimate best. A real-life story about the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda in Formula 1 in the late 70's. It is amazingly accurate, up to the detail of the Lauda's famous accident and injuries. It is heart-warming and deeply upsetting.

Children's Film of the Year: This a toughie! I thoroughly enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph and Despicable Me 2, and laughed the whole way through both. However, as a diehard Pixar fan, it is hard to say anything but Monsters University, which is also made me laugh the whole way through, as well as re-live my childhood.

Celebrity
Death of the Year: In the past, this award has been given to people who contributed very little to human existence, but still had a public presence. However, this year has many 'worthwhile' candidates. Margret Thatcher closed London for her funeral, and sparked a real debate in her absence. Much loved people like Richard Griffiths and Mel Smith left us. However, Nelson Mandela wins the prize. I suspect media organisation have kept his obituary close to hand over the past few years, but he finally went this year, and stole the TV schedules world-wide for the week. And in his bringing together of world leaders, created a historic moment in world history - THAT selfie…

'Who Cares' of the Year: This goes to Tom Daley for announcing in a YouTube video that he has a boyfriend. However, it is perhaps not him who deserves this award, but the media for turning it into a news story, and making everyone praise his bravery. I feel it is now people making these stories a big deal which is detrimental to other people coming out, and no longer a perceived stigma.

Celebrity Baby Name of the Year: This has to go to Kanye West for turning the life of his first born into one big joke, by naming her North West...

Journalism
Trial of the Year: The Current Trial into Phone Hacking… Anything that could lead to Rebecca Brooks going to jail, is a winner for me.

Inaccuracy of the Year: In recent weeks, we learned about the disturbing habits of Lost Prophets band member Ian Watkins. Unfortunately, he isn't the only Ian Watkins on the planet, and as a result, Steps band member H, has had his picture on various news sites, being associated with it and himself being the subject of abuse online.

News Coverage of the Year: There has been a lot of big news stories this year, and all covered in great depth by most of the big news organisations. However, I feel the murder of Drummer Lee Rigby in Woolwich is perhaps the most shocking, and was covered with the appropriate tone and respect. Perhaps I feel a greater affinity because I was just a 10 minute walk away when it happened, but I think all news outlets done their job brilliantly over the following days.

Politics
Personal Invasion of a Politician's Personal Space of the Year: The photographer and Chris Huhne is a personal favourite:

Bandwagon of the Year: Every politician has been quick to shake their heads in disapproval at the energy firms who have been raising their prices. However, they have failed to point out the reason for this predicament: They have failed at building new power stations to meet the increasing demand. MP's have been shutting down the old, dirty coal power stations, and old nuclear power stations, but have not build any new ones for over 20 years. Thus, energy is more expensive because it comes from the far reaches of the world. Hypocritical politicians; who'd have thought it.

Political Gaffe of the Year: Well, UKIP MEP Godfrey Bloom is just one big walking gaffe. This year he has called women 'sluts', complained about the amount of money being sent to 'bongo bongo land' in foreign aid, claimed women are more interesting in making beds than business, and decided feminism was created by 'shrill, bored, middle class women'…

Meal of the Year: This goes to George Osborne with his failed attempt to look like a man of the people, and show we're all in it together, by tweeting himself eating a takeaway:

General
Baby of the Year: As I predicted last year, Kate Middleton gave birth, and the birth of said child was celebrated beyond belief. I'm surprised we haven't marked the birth of Prince George Alexander Louis, with a bank holiday.

Tumblr Post of the Year: Benedict Cumberbatch Hates Liquids. I found this while a man fixed a boiler, and I laughed embarrassingly loud. Check it out here: http://t.co/kJrdC7FCAx

Thing I Don't Understand of the Year: When I first heard of Twerking, I honestly thought it was a term to describe being a berk on Twitter. Turns out it's the sort of dance Grannies do when they've had a few too many. However, it goes to the Harlem Shake, which a sudden swarm of dancers, and not an earthquake in a New York neighbourhood.

If you're still here, then it is at this point where I say thank you for coming, but ask you to kindly vacate the area. The ceremony has finished for another year. The winners don't even know they've won, and the losers don't care, but at least I have finally had the chance to vent my apparently un-cared for opinions.



I hope the upcoming year is everything you desire, and I look forward to meeting you all again next year.

No comments: