Saturday 22 January 2011

Newsnight On Speed

I watched the first edition of 10 o'clock Live, and I needed to relieve some of the frustrations I gained from watching it, so, here is my 10 o'clock Live Review:
David Mitchell, Charlie Brooker, Lauren Laverne and Jimmy Carr. I don't think Laverne can even sneer properly... 
I love and adore Charlie Brooker.
I love and adore David Mitchell.
I rather quite like Jimmy Carr.
Lauren Laverne was on Channel Four’s 10 O’clock Live too...

"10 O'Clock Live will provide a fresh and unashamedly intelligent take on current affairs from a young perspective", is what was said in the shows build up by the commissioning editor. However, I felt let down and disappointed after watching it.

For weeks Channel Four have been building this show up, and for weeks I have been looking forward to the shows start. It sort of ended up feeling like a Goldfish which has leapt out of his bowl; it lays there not moving but occasionally dances around full of life for a little while and calming down again. Parts of the show were dull and boring, such as Laverne attempting satire or Carr making unoriginal jokes about the week. The dancing occurs when Mitchell interviews a politician or Brooker point’s fun at news figures.

The main problem I had with the show was that they tried to fit far too much into it. Just as something became interesting or David Mitchell had backed the bankers into the corner of a bank and started a fierce debate, it was time to wrap up for the adverts or maybe even Lauren Laverne.

The jokes weren't that 'cutting edge' either; it’s the same old ones. Point and laugh at the banks. Sneer at those suited-up Tories. Go on, cringe at Sarah Palin's patriotism because we just told you too. I mean, Jimmy Carr was only on the show because he is the comedy go-to guy for Channel Four. There must be some kind of contract which states that he has to be in all forms of witty comedy on Channel Four. And Lauren Laverne? Lauren Laverne? Really? Was there some issue of the show having too many testacies and not enough ovaries, and just hired the cheapest female comedian they could get for fifteen consecutive Thursday's?

I know I only really watched the show for Mitchell's rants and for Brooker's observations. I didn't watch the show for the other two really. I was amazed at how great David Mitchell was at interviewing and getting the answers. Jeremy Paxman, when you die, we know who is getting your job. Also, was it just me who thought Charlie Brooker looked extremely bored throughout? That quiff as well; if he turned around any quicker, Laverne would have to start walking with a Labrador and a white stick.

This show came from Channel Four's Alternative Election Night, in which the quartet of comedians done a very similar show satirising the election. That was a great show which I enjoyed. That was a lot longer. I understand that Channel Four want this show to be part of the political TV weekly schedule, along with Question Time and Newsnight. This show has the potential to join in with the big boys; this show will bring politics to the younger generation. I mean, it's only had one episode. It has plenty of time to mature. To improve. To learn. To grow into a show which may last years and have the big political names to go in an attempt to acknowledge the young voters.

However, I am half expecting a future Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe episode to critique, in a much better way than I, 10 O’clock Live. I actually want there to be a show with just Charlie Brooker and David Mitchell. They could just rant in their usual misanthropic way at today's society. I think that would be a great show.

I'm not sure about the audience either. Did they think they were sitting in The X Factor studios? All they seemed to do was cheer and boo. Banker says something negative. BOOOO. David Mitchell strikes back with a satirical point. YAAAAY. You don't get that sort of behaviour on Question Time. Just calm down will you!

Also, the camera angles. As soon as a point being made by an interviewee becomes slightly tedious, we have lots of different camera shots which pan across the table and zoom in and out. Again, you don't get that sort of thing on Question Time. A comedy show is allowed to have serious point making, but Channel Four don't seem to understand that and think their audience will get bored if something doesn't change. I hate that about TV shows. I just want to watch and pay attention to the speaker, and now I can't see him because you're swooshing away from his face. Oh, now he's had to shut up with his serious point because Lauren Laverne wants to talk again.

I will still watch the upcoming 14 episodes, despite my negative thoughts, because I know it will improve. They just need to slow it down and not rush it. Get rid of segments from the show. Maybe even loss a certain blonde presenter from Radio 6. I don't know, but Channel 4 need to do something because I'm not sure it can be successful the way the first episode was. I mean, that's what we need to remember; it is only the first episode after all; and it’s live.
I might have a slight crush on the guy; but not in a gay way, more in an admiration way... Yeah.
If you cannot wait until the next episode for a bit of Charlie Brooker cynicism, then watch 'How TV Ruined Your Life' on BBC 2, Tuesday, 22:00.

In the words of Charlie Brooker: “That’s all we’ve got time for, now go away!”

No comments: