Thursday 30 September 2010

Album Review: Goo Goo Dolls - Something For The Rest Of Us

I should just point out, in case you have not yet figured it out yet from my music blogs; don't expect great in-depth analyse of the production of the music. I don't know enough to even try and blag my way through pretending. To be honest, I just know what sounds good and what don’t; what works and what doesn't and why I like it or why I don't like it. You could say I am naive and ignorant to the ways of music. I am a user. I will happily take the music and listen to it, but I'm not giver. I don't know all about riffs and the like. Anyway, I have more albums to ignorantly review.
Second to Maroon 5, Goo Goo Dolls are my favourite band. This band has a huge collection of music and all of it varying and appealing to different tastes. ‘Iris’, their most popular song is a lovely, calm song with real passion, but a typical Goo Goo Dolls song will be a lot louder and generally appeal someone with a ‘harder’ taste in music. For those people who do love ‘Iris’ and wish they had more songs similar, this is your lucky album in my opinion. It compromises. It still has the harder sound, but mixed with the passion that comes across in ‘Iris’.

The first song on this album is ‘Sweetest Lies’, and I happen to think this is the perfect opening song for the album. It gives you a feel for the rest of the album and for even better things to come. Then along comes the song ‘As I Am’, which is very catchy and is rather a meaningful song; as most of them are.

That is then followed by the single, ‘Home’. This is a song which is truly original to the Goo Goo Dolls sound, with it somehow managing to have a hard sound, but still comes across as meaningful and lovely, which is more typical of them. The song is very significant and is accompanied by great lyrics. It also has the classic key change at the end which somehow doesn’t sound cheesy, like it does when Westlife do it.

‘NotBroken’ is a very annoying song title and is somewhat confusing to my grammatical mind. I keep wanting to put a space in it – there should be space in the title. It for some reason infuriates me that they done that. Forgetting that, it is yet again typical of the Goo Goo Dolls, and is indeed a powerful song. ‘One Night’ is a song which is rather similar sounding to the rest of the album, but for reasons I cannot fathom, it still manages to stand out; a great song by that reckoning.

‘Nothing Is Real’ has an uplifting feel to it which is really enjoyable and I love songs which can raise your mood just by their lyrics and impact, like this one. ‘Now I Hear’ is yet another classic Goo Goo Dolls song, in particular with its rough, gravelly voice which is somehow beautiful. It is a great song with immense meaning. ‘Still You Sing’ has this very catchy sound to it and great lyrics, which work well and I rather like it.

The album title song, ‘Something For The Rest Of Us’ is a much slower song, and because of that, it probably has the more significant impact and meaning than any other song on this album. ‘Say You’re Free’ is one of those songs which are nothing special, but it still works quite well on the album with the other songs. Then we have the two, final tracks on the album.

‘Hey Ya’ is a real, attention seeking song which jumps out at the end and almost takes you by surprise. The power it has to it is incredible and again rather emotional. It is such a beautifully created song. The final song; ‘Soldier’ is a superb final song for an album. This song seems to be really deep and meaningful, with it being the most emotion-evoking song on the album, but it still manages to have this uplifting beat to it. ‘Soldier’ is my favourite song on the album and I listen to it constantly.

It is very typical of Goo Goo Dolls for their last song on an album to fit those criteria, with ‘Iris’ being the final song on its album, and that too is my favourite song. This band does not receive the credit they really deserve for their music. I only found out that the album was coming out two days previous to me purchasing it; that is how much of an effect they have upon me!

No comments: