Wednesday 29 September 2010

Album Review: Fyfe Dangerfield - Fly Yellow Moon

I just want emphasis the point: These are MY favourite albums. I'm not asking you to like my types of music; in fact I'm not even asking you to read my blog. I have a real problem with people having a prejudice against others just because they don't have the same musical tastes. There are these people about which will write of perfectly nice people, just because of the music collection on their iPod. That is just so very wrong. It probably isn't as bad as racism or sexist, but it is in the area of pointless prejudice: Musicism.
Some background information on Fyfe Dangerfield: You may not be aware, but Fyfe is the lead singer of the band The Guillemots; whom I love. They are a very unique band and I'm not sure how to describe them really. I really do like their songs, especially the album Red. One reason for this is because of Fyfe's voice, which may not be the best, but the oddness he has, is great. That comes across in this album, but not as much as in his bands stuff.

'When You Walk In The Room' is what I would call a classic Guillemots song, so as the introduction to his first solo album, is rather perfect to ease us, as the listeners, into this new music. This song is also one of his singles, and it seems to have strong emotions connected to it, which makes it even better for me. 'So Brand New' is a song which isn't anything too catchy or amazing, but it certainly seems to be very apt for the album and the other songs.

We then have two rather slow and beautiful pieces of music which are really pieces of musical art, but the weird type you might find in the Tate Modern. 'Barricades' is one of those songs and it seems to be very heartfelt and has the ability to pull on those rusty heart strings. 'High On The Tide' is the following piece of beautiful music. It is very relaxing, and with the sounds of the beach and his lyrics, you are teleported to being sat on the beach - it has that much power. The song is almost too powerful. Clever.

'Faster Than The Setting Sun' is the song that has the most impact on the album with the song having this significance on the album and yet another of his singles. It is due to this that I love the song and listened to it quite a bit when I first got the album. 'Livewire' is completely different to any other song on this album. It has this lovely, acoustic sound which makes the song have this incredible meaning and make you just fall in love as you listen to it. 'Firebird' is a somewhat similar song to 'Livewire', but this time it doesn't have the same impact. You listen to the song, just waiting and wishing for it to eventually perk up; and it never does. It is one heck of a depressing song.

'She Needs Me' is just what needs to follow that depressing song. It instantly perks you, and the album, up again. This song is very catchy and I love this song too; also because of its lyrics which I believe to be very meaningful too. 'Don't Be Shy' is yet another song which has the incredible impact and meaning and it returns to the slower, acoustic sound, but a bit happier. 'Any Direction' has a slightly 'techno' sound to it, which is certainly reminiscent of The Guillemots, and it is really good. It’s a unique song that, eventually, gets going and is rather catchy.

'She's Always A Woman' (or 'The Song Off Of The John Lewis Advert' as everyone knows it) is a beautiful rendition of Billy Idol's song. I personally find it much better than the original. I'll be wasting time reviewing this song anymore - everyone knows it. 'Awake, Asleep' is a very good and is a very powerful song. It has this distinctive sound to it, and I can't find any other way to describe than to describe it as a 'classic' sounding song. 'Let's Start Again' then cheers you up after that song, and yet again another example to positioning songs well within the album. It works well, and as for the song, it is very catchy; the catchiest song of the album I believe.

The last song on the album is the single version of 'Faster Than The Setting Son', which I feel kind of ruins the end of the album. I hate it when artists do that; repeat an earlier song at the end of the album, with it only sounding slightly different. So, if we call 'Let's Start Again' the final song on the album, and forget about this unnecessary repeat, it works really well.

I would suggest this album as one that people should listen to, and I expect most people to be able to find at least one song they'll like. Then, if you do like this, have a listen to The Guillemots music - in particular 'Red'. I hope it widens your musical range.

Musicism: Noun; A common prejudice against other people who have a different collection on music on their iPod to oneself.

No comments: