Thursday 29 October 2009

Nearly There - Unconventionally Of Course

Hello blog fans or people who have nothing better to do; here is a blog about my recent driving lessons. I've now started doing six lessons to a blog, so here is a hefty blog for you to read. Hopefully, I shouldn't have to do too many more blogs on this subject as I am nearing the end of lessons and taking the sprint to a driving test instead.

So, let’s start where we left off - Lesson 17. The lesson started well, but it eventually went into disaster and my worst lesson ever. Disaster (maybe slightly exaggerated) started at traffic lights, waiting to go off onto a dual carriageway. As soon as the lights went green, a bloke with a caravan blocked the entrance and when he moved, the lights had gone red again. My instructor was not happy. Anywho, the dual carriageway took me to roads I've never been on ever; as a passenger nor a driver, and for 30 seconds I done absolutely nothing right. I didn't read the signs, so I didn't know immediately after the corner there was a roundabout. As I didn't know, I didn't slow down, thus panicked when I got there and went way too fast the wrong way around the roundabout and took the wrong turning. There was no-one on the roundabout at the time so there was no accident. Anyway, confidence took a bit of a shock but went on to do a three-point turn, reversing around a corner and parallel parking.

Lesson 18 wasn't as exciting. It was meant to be in the dark, but due to him getting a puncture, got changed to the next morning - in daylight. Nothing went drastically wrong, done the usual reversing around a corner, a three-point turn and a parallel park. With it being a Friday morning, there was rather a lot of traffic about, so a lot of the lesson was at 5MPH. Good practice though.

Lesson 19 was again around Canterbury, and was again in lots of traffic. I made one major mistake, when I drove past my Grandad in his car; I paid more attention to him than where I was driving. Luckily no-one died as a result though. This won't come as much as a surprise to you, but I done a three-point turn, reversing around a corner and parallel park. There was one surprise though, which was slightly disturbing. When waiting at traffic lights, a woman walked across the road and my instructor commented on how sexy she looked. It did distract me slightly from the lights changing colour.

Lesson 20, and I'd love to tell you how well it went, but honestly - I don't remember any of it what so ever. I expect we done a three point turn, reversing around a corner and a parallel park. However, seeing as I don't remember it, we can conclude from that fact, the lesson went smoothly, with nothing extraordinary happening, there can't have been any big mistakes and no-one could've died as a result of my driving.

Now onto Lesson 21. It was just around Canterbury again making silly little mistakes and I am no longer making any big major mistakes. We did the usual reversing around a corner, parallel parking, three-point turning and reversing into a parking space. It was a morning and therefore lots of traffic as usual. I saw a train though! Had to stop at a crossing and a steam engine went past. Now that's something you don't usually see in Canterbury.

And Lesson 22, which went very well. We took the same route as was planned for Lesson 17 (the first one in this blog post) and seeing as I knew what was around the corner, I slowed down properly, went the right way around and also took the correct exit, so that done my confidence a lot of good. Infact, this lesson was my first lesson where nothing went wrong, and it was in the early evening and having to use light. Also, I did reversing around a corner, into a parking space, parallel parking and also a three-point turn unsurprisingly.

Thanks to me having a few good lessons in a row and nothing too silly going on, next week I shall be booking my driving test. Next week my instructor will tell me how to book it and then I shall come home and book a test. With any luck I could be driving by Christmas and I may have even taken my test by the next time I post a blog. Obviously, I'm not about to get really big headed and say I'm going to pass first time - that'd be absurd, but I am confident about it, so with luck I will pass.

One thing I need to stop doing is as we drive past girls, I tend to take my line of vision away from the road and towards the pathment, so this is something I need to stop myself doing so much. My instructor keeps commenting on this as well. I suppose it's one of the curses of being single - having wandering eyes...

ANYWHO, that's the end. Wish me luck for my test!

No comments: