Thursday 7 January 2010

An Unconventional Driving Test - Ye First

Yesterday I had my Driving test. I may as well tell you now incase you don't know already - I failed. Bugger. Anywho, the snow means I have time to write a blog, so here I go. First I'll update you on the useless information of my four driving lessons prior to my test, and then vaguely inform you about my test. I am sorry I failed because it now means you've got to cope with a few more blogs about my lessons.
So Lesson 29. We're going back to the last week of school and the day it snowed hard and I had a driving lesson. Fortunately, my lesson finished about half hour before the snow came down. Was still cold though! The lesson consisted of me doing two, yes that is right, two three point turns, a parallel park, a reverse around a corner and a reverse into a parking bay. All were successful and was overall a good lesson.

Now let’s move to Christmas Eve for Lesson 30. This was cancelled. Then back on an hour later with a different car. This first meant going to the instructor’s house to meet his wife and very hairy dog to get into his new back-up black car (I was the first student to drive it). Anyway, it took some getting used to, but other than that it was a very good lesson I thought. Done a reverse around a corner into a parking bay (a two birds, one stone move), a parallel park, a three point turn then a reverse around a corner. It was an interesting way to 'celebrate' my 30th lesson.

Lesson 31 a week later and I was back in the old car - the first student to drive the old car since he got it repaired. It was raining very hard and didn't really do much driving. The majority of the lesson was going through the 'Show Me, Tell Me' questions for my test, as well as numerous emergency stops and also managed to fit in a three point turn.
Lesson 32 was the next day and it was still raining hard as well as my last lesson before the test. We done some more 'Show Me, Tell Me' and more emergency stops; I have to say - emergency stops are such fun! Anyway, I also did a reverse into a bay, a three point turn and a reverse around a corner.

THE TEST
Okay, so yes, I failed. I have prepared an excuse however: Snow. My driving test was on snow and ice which if I'm honest isn't exactly the best conditions for a driving test. I should be grateful it wasn't cancelled though I suppose. I actually did very well for a majority of the test. It didn't start very well with me attempting to open the bonnet at the bumper but my instructor was very nice and didn't think I was a complete idiot.
I had 9 minors (you're allowed a maximum of 15 to pass) and had 2 serious (you're allowed none). The two ‘serious’ mistakes where silly one which I've never done before, and both done in the last 5 minutes of my test. One was rolling back at traffic lights as I hadn't put my handbrake on and the other cutting someone up coming off a roundabout. The minors where mainly me not checking my mirrors regularly enough and getting the wrong gear going up hills. Very silly stuff.

I am very disappointed with it really knowing I could have easily passed it. However I have already booked my second driving test. Annoyingly I have to wait another two months though - 3rd March at 09:37. Wish me luck!

Going back to my vague discussion about the instructors cars; he has, let's say, unique license plates. His normal red car has 'POO' written in his licence plate number. The back-up car has 'PEE' written in the license plate number. Now picture the scene with both cars on the driveway. You could knock on his door and tell him "Someone's left a poo and a pee on your driveway." That entertained me for ages when I figured that out. How immature am I?

So, from now on my driving lessons will be fortnightly (because prices have gone up and I can no longer afford them weekly) so a new blog on my driving lessons will be posted just before my test on 3rd March.

This is my first blog post of the year so I suppose I should say:
Happy New Year!

No comments: